Featured post

My 101 Guide to Parelli Natural Horsemanship!

This is an article I wrote at the invitation of my goddaughter Verena.  Verena is passionate about dog training and has recently graduated f...

Tuesday 8 December 2009

Breakthrough - Un grand moment


Easter came to me in 2005 as an abused horse who had been very badly started and was highly skeptical and terrified of humans. An extreme RBI, she is a very sensitive, perceptive and easily frightened horse whose trust is hard to earn and so easy to lose. We have made huge progress together over the years, and today she is Level 4 and much more settled, often acting as an LBI and even goes to LBE at times.


Still, for many years, I never saw her laying down during the day, and when she started doing it, I was never able to get close and pet her without causing her to get up. In the last few months, she has begun turning loose, and I have been able to pet her while she is down, but only if I could tune my energy WAY down and by being very careful not to pop her bubble.


Yesterday, we had a HUGE breakthrough in trust. As she layed down in the pasture, I approached and kneeled next to her to pet her. She seemed way more relaxed than usual, and I gently asked if she would put her head on my lap, something Menina does with me all the time, but never Easter. I had to wait, and wait, and wait, as she thought about it and actually approached and retreated a few times, and then it happened - she turned loose and layed all the way down, head on my knees! I held my breath for fear I might just send out too much energy and scare her, and the moment lasted a few seconds. Then she just had to get up, but what a wonderful feeling, what a special moment. Everything with this horse revolves around the Friendly Game and building trust, and even though I can't always ride her as much as I want, these short sessions carry huge meaning for her and our relationship. It's really not about riding!


Geneviève

Pont-Rouge


Easter est arrivée dans ma vie en 2005, une jument violentée qui avait été débourrée brutalement et était très sceptique et terrifiée des humains. Un CDI extrême, c'est une jument très sensible, très alerte et qui s'effraie facilement, un cheval dont la confiance est longue à gagner et si facile à perdre. Nous avons fait d'énormes progrès durant les dernières années et elle est aujour'hui Niveau 4, beaucoup plus calme et agit souvent comme une CGI, parfois même une CGE.


Malgré cela, il a passé plusieurs années avant que je la voie se coucher le jour, et quand elle a commencé à le faire, je ne pouvais pas m'en approcher sans qu'elle se lève. Depuis quelques mois, je peux maintenant l'approcher et la caresser quand elle est couchée, en mettant mon énergie complètement au neutre et en faisant très attention de ne pas percer sa bulle.


Hier, nous avons fait un GRAND pas en avant dans la confiance. Comme elle se couchait dans l'enclos, je me suis approchée et je me suis agenouillée pour la caresser. Elle semblait beaucoup plus détendue que d'habitude, et je lui ai doucement demandée de mettre sa tête sur mes genoux, quelque chose que Menina fait facilement, mais que je n'ai jamais obtenu d'Easter. J'ai dû attendre, attendre et attendre encore, pendant qu'elle réfléchissait et qu'elle faisait son approche et retrait, puis c'est arrivé - elle a lâché prise et s'est couchée de tout son long! J'ai retenu ma respiration de peur de lui transmettre trop d'énergie et de lui faire peur, et le moment a duré quelques secondes. Elle s'est sentie obligée de se lever, mais quel sensation extraordinaire, quel moment merveilleux. Tout tient à la confiance et au jeu de l'amitié avec ce cheval, et même quand je ne peux pas la monter régulièrement, ces courtes sessions sont tellement lourdes de sens pour elle et pour notre relation. Il s'agit de tellement plus que de simple équitation!

Geneviève

Pont-Rouge

No comments:

Post a Comment