Featured post

My 101 Guide to Parelli Natural Horsemanship!

This is an article I wrote at the invitation of my goddaughter Verena.  Verena is passionate about dog training and has recently graduated f...

Wednesday 23 June 2010

How committed are you to your horse? Quel est votre engagement envers votre cheval?







During my last interview this winter, Lauren Barwick asked me: 'How committed are you to your horses?'




This seemingly simple question followed a discussion about whether or not trying to take a challenging horse through the program was an asset or a detriment to advancing. Anyone who knows me knows I have a knack for ending up with rather demanding horsenalities, I guess I like the spirited and sensitive, the very intelligent horse that does not necessarily readily accepts human leadership. It has definitely slowed down my progress through the official levels, as several of my mentors have pointed out in the past and present.




To Lauren's question, I immediately answered, without hesitation, 'my horses are with me for life!'. I don't think she was surprised at all. How else could it be? After spending hours and years developping a bond and a relationship, going through the highs and lows of learning and taking care of their mental, emotional and physical needs, how could I even think of not having them in my life - for me, that is simply impossible. My horses are not only my friends and partners, they are my source of inspiration and dreams, my motivation to get better and my trademark. The very rare moments in my journey where I actually envisionned getting rid of one of them, I nearly lost my mind at the very thought and was never able to go through with it.




It would be like cutting off an arm or a leg, or giving away my child! I believe that when you take on a horse into your life, you take on a huge responsability. You become the centre of their life and the supplier of all they need to live and flourish. That includes not only food and water, but safety, comfort, play, companionship, learning, exercise, motivation, variety, responsibilities, growth and things to do and think about. It means one must continuously be open to learning and improving so their quality of life is the best it can be. It also means for me that I can't give up on them when things are not right, or are not going as well as I want them too. To me, if I only wanted a tool that will do what I want when I want it, I would be riding a motorbike, not a horse, a living, breathing, feeling creature with its own thoughts and emotions.


In today's instant gratification world, when people don't win, they get a new horse - must be the horse's fault. When people don't achieve their levels, they get an easier horse. In the process, they might be missing out on a great opportunity to learn and grow, because the more difficult horse, if you are committed to succeeding and helping him, will motivate you to get much more particular about your horsemanship and your skills.


I don't advocate starting Parelli with a difficult horse - that is the best way to lose motivation and confidence, especially if you are fairly new to horses. But when you do pick a horse, think carefully about your future partner and ask yourself - how committed am I to THIS horse? Because if you are not, you may find that you won't find the energy, spirit and funds to work on your horsemanship and go through the Parelli program.

And doesn't every horse deserve that we honor it for its own nature and bring out its best potential?




Geneviève

Pont-Rouge


Pendant ma dernière entrevue cet hiver, Lauren Barwick m'a demandé: 'À quel point es-tu engagée envers tes chevaux?'


Cette question apparamment simple venait à la suite d'une discussion sur les avantages et les détriments de passer les niveaux avec un cheval difficile. Tous ceux qui me connaissent savent que je semble avoir une attirance particulière pour les chevaux aux personnalités complexes, il semble que j'aime les chevaux sensibles et énergiques, très intelligents et qui n'acceptent pas d'emblée le leadership d'un humain. Cela a certainement ralenti ma progression à travers les niveaux officiels, comme je me le suis fait dire par plusieurs de mes mentors passés et présents.


À la question de Lauren, j'ai répondu sans hésiter, que mes chevaux sont avec moi pour la vie! Je ne pense pas l'avoir surpris avec cette déclaration. Comment pourrait-il en être autrement? Après avoir passé des heures et des années à bâtir un lien et une relation, à passer à travers les hauts et les bas de l'apprentissage et m'être occupé de leur bien-être mental, émotif et physique, comment pourrais-je envisager de ne pas les avoir dans ma vie? Pour moi, c'est impossible. Mes chevaux sont non seulement mes amis et mes partenaires, ils sont la source de ma motivation, de mes rêves, de ma passion d'apprendre et de grandir et ma marque de commerce. Dans les rares moments de mon cheminement où j'ai songé à me départir de l'un d'eux, j'ai failli perdre mes esprits à la pensée de le faire et je n'ai jamais pu passer à l'acte. Je ferais tout aussi bien de me couper un bras ou une jambe, or de donner un de mes enfants! Je crois que lorsqu'on amène un cheval dans notre vie, nous prenons une énorme responsabilité. Nous devenons le centre de leur vie et le fournisseur de tout ce qu'ils ont besoin pour vivre et pour s'épanouir. Cela inclut non seulement la nourriture et l'eau, mais la sécurité, le confort, le jeu, de la compagnie, l'apprentissage, l'exercice, la motivation, la variété, les responsabilités, une éducation progressive et des choses à faire et à penser. Cela signifie que l'on doit continuellement s'ouvrir à de nouvelles leçons et à l'amélioration afin de leur donner la meilleure qualité de vie possible. Cela veut aussi dire que je ne les abandonne pas lorsque les choses ne vont pas trop bien ou comme prévu. Pour ma part, si je voulais un outil qui ferait ce que je veux comme je le veux quand je le veux, j'aurais une motocyclette, pas un cheval, une créature vivante qui pense et qui ressent ses propres émotions.


Dans notre monde de plaisirs instantanés, lorsque les gens ne gagnent pas, ils achètent un nouveau cheval - ce doit être de la faute du cheval. Ce faisant, ils passent à côté d'une belle occasion d'apprendre et de devenir meilleur, parce que le cheval plus complexe, si vous êtes engagés à l'aider et à réussir, vous motivera à devenir beaucoup plus exigeant dans la qualité de votre horsemanship et de vos compétences.


Je ne conseille à personne de commencer Parelli avec un cheval difficile - ce serait la meilleure façon de vous démotiver et de perdre confiance, surtout si vous manquez d'expérience. Mais lorsque vous choisissez un cheval, réfléchissez sur votre choix et demandez-vous 'À quel point suis-je engagée envers CE cheval?' Si vous ne l'êtes pas assez, vous aurez du mal à trouver le temps, l'énergie, la motivation et les fonds pour travailler sur votre savoir-faire équestre et le programme Parelli.


Après tout, chaque cheval ne mérite-t-il pas d'être honoré selon sa nature et d'atteindre son plein potentiel?


Geneviève

2 comments:

  1. We live in a 'throw away society,' if something is not convenient or beneficial to oneself, we chuck it and get a new one! The funny thing is that when we don't commit to something or someone, we loose the personal-development and confidence that comes from being with someone through thick and thin...

    Great post, Geneviève!

    Kerrin Koetsier
    Parelli Central

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely. Each horse I have had the privilege of bringing through the Parelli levels has been a great teacher and helped become a better human in the process. That is a huge gift I would not trade for the world!

    ReplyDelete