Featured post

My 101 Guide to Parelli Natural Horsemanship!

This is an article I wrote at the invitation of my goddaughter Verena.  Verena is passionate about dog training and has recently graduated f...

Sunday 4 October 2009

Trip to Vancouver - Voyage à Vancouver


Fall is definitely here. The high peaks are covered in snow, the temps drop below zero at night and the horses have pretty much run out of grass in the pasture. Tomorrow morning I will start the trip East heading home to Quebec. This time, I plan to use a northern route through Jasper, Edmonton, Saskatoon (along the Yellowhead highway), then returning to the Transcanada at Regina. Truckers tell me this is an easier drive with a big rig, so we'll try it.


I took advantage of an invitation to visit Vancouver for the first time. It was a short trip, only a couple of nights, but I fell in love with the city. Everywhere you look, it's a postcard! Mountains, ocean, ships, parks and green spaces, this is a city that lives outdoors. Everyone hikes, runs, bikes, and walks their dog along the numerous beaches and trails. What a great place to live - it's clean, friendly and safe. I loved it. I took the gondola and chair to the top of Grouse Mountain for a spectacular view of the Narrows and the city. I walked the beaches and the trails in Stanley Park and West Vancouver, ate sushi and dined in one of the best restaurants of the city (compliments of my hosts Merlin and Mike).


It was a big risk coming all this way to work on a ranch with people I had never seen or met, but it was a great experience and I leave with sadness. I'll miss everyone, and the horses, the great weather and the wide spaces, the wildlife and the scenery. But winter is coming quick, and it is cold and isolated here, so it's time to go back east to plan my next year.


I am taking bookings for 2010 clinics. There is a chance I might be coming West again next summer, so for the East coast, get your date in early as I may only be in the East a few months in spring and fall. Anyone west can also let me know their interest so I can book them as I plan my cross Canada tour once more.


Geneviève

Princeton, BC


L'automne est bien arrivé. Les hauts sommets sont blancs de neige et la température descend sous zéro la nuit. Les chevaux n'ont presque plus d'herbe dans leur pâturage. Demain matin j'entreprends le long voyage du retour vers le Québec. Cette fois, je prévois prendre un itinéraire plus au Nord, en passant par Jasper, Edmonton et Saskatoon (autoroute Yellowhead), puis rejoignant la Transcanadienne à Regina. Les chauffeurs de camion me disent que c'est une route plus facile à conduire avec un camion, alors je vais l'essayer.


J'ai profité d'une invitation pour visiter Vancouver pour la première fois. Le séjour a été court, juste deux nuits, mais je suis tombée en amour avec cette ville. À chaque regard, on voit une carte postale! Les montagnes, la mer, les bateaux, les parcs et la verdure, c'est une ville que se vit dehors. Tout le monde marche, coure, fait du vélo ou promène son chien le long des nombreux plages et sentiers. Quel bel endroit pour vivre - c'est propre, accueillant et sécuritaire. J'ai adoré. J'ai pris la gondole et le remonte-pente jusqu'au sommet du mont Grouse pour voir l'extraordinaire panorama de la mer et de la ville. J'ai marché le long des plages et des sentiers de Stanley Park et de Vancouver Ouest, mangé du sushi et soupé dans l'un des meilleurs restaurants de la ville (grâce à mes hôtes Merlin et Mike).


J'ai pris un gros risque en venant travailler sur un ranch avec des gens que je n'avais jamais rencontrés, mais ce fut une belle expérience et je quitte avec tristesse. Tout le monde va me manquer, les chevaux aussi, ainsi que le climat, les grands espaces, la faune et le paysage. Mais l'hiver arrive vite, et c'est très froid et isolé ici, il est donc temps de repartir.

Je prends déjà les réservations pour les stages de 2010. Il est possible que je revienne dans l'Ouest l'an prochain, donc pour mes élèves de la côte Est, je vous suggère de réserver vos dates le plus tôt possible étant donné qu'il soit possible que je ne sois au Québec qu'au printemps et à l'automne. Pour mes élèves de l'Ouest, laissez-moi savoir votre intérêt pour que je vous insère à mon itinéraire pancanadien.

Geneviève
Princeton, BC

No comments:

Post a Comment